World AIDS Day - December 1, 2011
Events (in chronological order, updated November 21)
(All external links on this page were valid, as of Dec 1, 2011.)
Saturday November 26
- The Red Ribbon Human Link - An outdoor awareness walk in the heart of Chinatown & Kensington Market to commemorate the 23rd World AIDS Day. Starts at 2 pm, Chinatown Centre, 222 Spadina Avenue (south of Dundas Street West). Organized by St. Stephen's Community House
Tuesday November 29
- Past, Present, Future: Asian Community AIDS Services (ACAS) World AIDS Day Community Forum, 4-7 pm, Metro Hall, 55 John Street. Interactive workshops, inspirational discussion, and art exhibit.
Wednesday November 30
- World AIDS Day at U of T: 5:30pm (doors open), 6pm to 7:30pm. An evening of performance and discussion on the HIV/AIDS pandemic in sub-Saharan Africa, featuring performances and discussions with Zambian and South African HIV and AIDS arts experts, Stephen Lewis, Canadian spoken word poet d'bi young, and Kwasi Dunyo and U of T Faculty of Music African Dance and Drum Class. Great Hall, Hart House, University of Toronto. Limited seating - RSVP to email@example.com; event to be broadcast live at www.stephenlewisfoundation.org. (See U of T's World AIDS Day Event Program for this and other events.)
- Launch for Day With(out) Art: A fusion of HIV/Art/Activism at the Art Gallery of Ontario. This year, AIDS ACTION NOW is working to create a different kind of dialogue around HIV, in the art world, and on the street, in ways that haven't happened for a long time. 6-8:30 pm. View posters.
Thursday December 1 - World AIDS Day
- 8th Annual World AIDS Day Breakfast Program: 7-9 am, Arcadian Court, 401 Bay Street (advance tickets only). For more information or to order tickets and tables: email WADBreakfast11@gmail.com or see Facebook event.
- World AIDS Day Demonstration to Protest Russia's Severe Abuse of People Who Use Drugs: 10am - 1 pm, 1000 Finch Avenue West. The Toronto Drug Users Union (ToDUU) joins international drug user organizations to stage demonstrations in front of Russian Embassies.
- Commémoration de la Journée mondiale du sida d'Action positive VIH/sida: 10h30 à 12h30, 399 rue Church, salle 221 (416-340-8484, poste 260; firstname.lastname@example.org)
- Casey House World AIDS Day Memorial Service: 12 Noon, Casey House, 9 Huntley Street (RSVP - 416-962-4040, ext. 231)
- Free Testing, Outreach, and Counselling at Steamworks: 12 Noon - Midnight, Steamworks, 540 Church Street. Outreach workers will be in the bathhouse from noon until midnight to give out free condoms, lube, and information. Hassle Free Clinic will provide free anonymous rapid point of care HIV testing from 3-9 pm. Professional counselors from the TowelTalk program will be on site from 1-7 pm to offer free services.
- Fórum o Impacto do VIH/HIV e SIDA/AIDS nas comunidades de Língua Portuguesa: 5:30-8:30 pm, St. Christopher House, 248 Ossington Avenue. Este evento é gratuito, mas pedimos para confirmar sua presença até o dia 28 de Novembro, com Fernanda da Silva, 416-340-8484, ext. 290, ou e-mail email@example.com
- Community Carnation Memorial: 5:45 pm at the 519 Church Street Community Centre and AIDS Memorial. Remember those we have lost to HIV/AIDS at the AIDS Memorial in Cawthra Park, next to the 519 Church Street Community Centre.
- World AIDS Day Vigil Service (sponsored by the Anglican Diocese of Toronto): 6 pm at the Church of the Redeemer, 162 Bloor Street West
- World AIDS Day: South Asian Stories (speakers, short films and shared experiences presented by The Alliance for South Asian AIDS Prevention): 6-9 pm at University of Toronto, William Doo Auditorium, 45 Willcocks Street (see flyer)
- "Think Global - Eat Local": a World AIDS Day fundraising dinner in support of the 14th Annual Friends for Life Bike Rally and the Toronto People With AIDS Foundation: 6 pm (hors d'oeuvres; dinner at 7 pm), Globe Bistro, 124 Danforth Avenue (RSVP to Mark at 647-407-4301; see flyer)
- Voices of Hope Concert for World AIDS Day: 7 pm at Metropolitan United Church, 56 Queen Street East
- Knowledge = Power: an HIV Transmission Update for Gay and Bi Men hosted by the AIDS Committee of Toronto. 8:30-10 pm at The 519 Community Centre (Room 201), 519 Church Street. (RSVP to firstname.lastname@example.org or call 416-340-8484, ext. 264)
- Undies 4 World AIDS Day (an event in support of the AIDS Committee of Toronto): 9 pm - 2 am at Crews & Tangos, 508 Church Street
- "Getting to Zero": Peel HIV/AIDS Network (PHAN) is proud to announce its annual World AIDS Day celebration to remember and honour those who have lost their battle with HIV/AIDS, and to celebrate the resilience and community support for people who are living with, affected by, or at-risk for HIV/AIDS. 6-9pm. Mississauga Valley Community Centre (1275 Mississauga Valley Blvd, Mississauga). (event details)
- National Aboriginal AIDS Awareness Week(AAAW) (for more information, see CAAN website, Facebook and Twitter)
also see International activities - "World AIDS Day Campaign"